– Investing and opportunities in agri-finance, agri-tech, mechanization, agri value chain and accessing the UK market.
– Despite hosting 60% of the world’s arable land, Africa is a major importer of food, and the war in Ukraine threatens to cut off supplies to much of the continent. How is Uganda attracting international investors to secure its food sustainability?
– Where are the opportunities in scaling-up the role of Youth, Technology, and Innovation in the Future of Africa’s Agricultural Development? (Andrew A Blanch, Managing Director at Alvan Blanch Development Company Ltd)
What is needed in Uganda is guiding policies on relevant technical assistance and a strong enabling environment that allows farmers access to markets, transport, storage, power, and irrigation infrastructure, and to other financial products, affordable finance and even weather insurance. When farmers increase their incomes, they can then build their equity and borrow and invest more. (Mahamoud Andama Director Investments, Uganda Development Bank).
– Which sustainable agribusiness programmes and financing structures have the bank got in place for agri-projects? Which of those agri- innovations are showing promise of sustainable growth and success? What challenges do you see in exporting to UK markets and how to overcome them? Post-harvest handling infrastructure facilities together with leading knowledge on food safety, quality control, handling, storage and processing for shelf life based on relevant local Industrial Research and Intellectual Property Rights for academic researchers backed by adoption of innovations in food science, combination technologies matching the target export market. (Perez Ochieng, Director, SACOMA Foods Innovation)
– After the session: The panel will meet those from UK who want to venture in this sector in Uganda, with the aim to drive new business deals and commitments. The Deal Room will provide companies in the agriculture and agribusiness sectors with the opportunity to access information, mentorship, and market entry solutions to support their growth objectives.
Moderator: Edward Katende, CEO, Uganda Development Forum
• Andre Ben Scheepers, Manager, Tomosi Farm
• Andrew A Blanch, Managing Director at Alvan Blanch Development Company Ltd
• Perez Ochieng, Director, SACOMA Foods Innovation
• Kenneth Mugabo Barigye, MD, Mountain Harvest SMS Ltd
• Nelson Tugume, Inspire Africa Coffee