James Shaw MEng AMIAgrE
James is Technical Sales Engineer at Alvan Blanch, a British manufacturing and project engineering company exporting to Uganda and worldwide. James advises clients throughout the sales process, designing technical layouts for, and commissioning, new factories – while training staff on operation.
James has been awarded several industry awards for his work within the post-harvest development and organic fertiliser research fields.
Alvan Blanch has a Sales Engineer based in Kampala for the East African market as well as a Technical Service Hub in Uganda, and in Nigeria – with engineers supporting clients across Africa through installation to servicing of equipment. With their manufacturing facility in the UK, Alvan Blanch exports 85% of total turnover. Uganda continues to be a key market for Alvan Blanch over the last 50 years. Clients range from small agri-producers to larger scale traders, processors, multinationals and government - with silo storage and other value addition.
DAY 1 - 08 SEPT 2023 Afternoon | Agribusiness | Coffee Session
Session 4 | MARKET DEVELOPMENT, PARTNERSHIPS,OPPORTUNITIES IN AGRICULTURAL SECTOR, AGRO-FOOD EXPORTS AND THE POTENTIAL OF COFFEEVALUE ADDITION
Value addition in agriculture presents an opportunity to integrate the Ugandan agriculturalsector with the international food processing industry. A well-developed food processing sectorwith a higher level of processing will aid in the reduction of waste, enhance value addition,encourage crop diversification, and provide producers with a higher return.
- Where are the opportunities in agri-finance, agri-tech, mechanization, and agri-value chain.
- How can Ugandan exporters access the highly regulated UK market.
- Where are the present investment gaps to boast; commerce expansion anddiversification; sustainable/efficient cooperatives; Industrialization that isecologically sustainable and technological advancement
- Where are the opportunities in the agro-ecosystem as a continuum to extendfrom the farm to value-added processing to grocery store shelves forinternational markets.
- It is therefore key to resolve the infrastructure deficits supporting the agro-foodprocessing industry, and to improve post-harvest and marketing infrastructure
- What are the legal, regulatory, policies and other institutional frameworks tosupport the agricultural sector?