Hon. Janet Kataaha Museveni
Mrs Janet Kataaha Museveni was born on 24th June, 1948 at Ntungamo District, Uganda. Married to H.E. Gen. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni President of the Republic of Uganda with four children and fifteen grandchildren.
She held a Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership and Management, Uganda Christian University (2015), Bachelor of Education, Makerere University (1997) and a Diploma in Child Cognitive and Physiological Development, Montessori Education Centre, Dublin (1993).
She is the Minister of Education and Sports (June 2016 to date).
She has held various portfolio including:
- Minister for Karamoja Affairs (2009-June2016) - Involved in guiding Government Development Programmes in the Karamoja Sub Region. Providing oversight and supervisory role over the implementation of all government projects and programmes in the region including education, health, water and sanitation, wealth creation and agriculture.
- Member of Parliament for Ruhaama County Ntungamo District, 2006-May 2016). She has made a tremendous contribution to the transformation of the livelihood of the people of Ruhaama County through her various interventions namely: Construction of school classrooms, renovation and equipping of health centres, provision of micro credit to youth, women and men groups, introduction of income generating projects for the most vulnerable, improvement in agriculture and environment, expansion of rural electrification, improving the road network in the County and training and empowering the people with life skills for poverty eradication.
- Founder and Patron of Uganda Women's Effort to Save Orphans (UWESO) an indigenous NGO which cares for war-related and HIV/AIDS affected orphans in all the Districts of Uganda. The NGO has been in operation since 1986 and works with major UN agencies and other international donor organizations.
- Founder and Patron of National Strategy for Advancement of rural Women in Uganda (NSARWU), an indigenous NGO which works with poor rural women to empower them economically through various interventions like micro credit. The NGO has been in operation for 20 years and works closely with international donor agencies.
- Founder and Patron of Uganda Youth Forum (UYF) an NGO that engages the youth of Uganda for character and behaviour formation particularly with regard to HIV/AIDS prevention. This NGO was founded in 1992 and provides a platform for open dialogue on issues and challenges of growing up, such as sexuality, relationships, adolescence, and career choices.
- Goodwill Ambassador for Safe Motherhood in Uganda on behalf of the Ugandan Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization (WHO) with a major role of advocating for reduction of maternal mortality and morbidity.
- Active member of the Organization of African First Ladies against HIV/AIDS (OAFLA Uganda), an NGO established in 2002 to effectively respond to the scourge of HIV/AIDS in Sub Saharan Africa.
- The first Chairperson of African First Ladies Forum on Cervical and Breast Cancer Prevention. She is The Patron of this Forum and has been instrumental in facilitating the initiation and scale up of this intervention since 2007.
- Co-Chair of CURE Hospital – a specialized neurosurgery teaching Hospital for disabled children in Uganda, in partnership with CURE International.
- Conference Speaker both in Uganda and at many international fora concerning various social development topics, particularly HIV/AIDS, poverty eradication and women economic empowerment.
- Janet Museveni is a professed and active Christian whose work and life is driven by faith.