President of Tullow Uganda, Mr Elly Karuhanga to make a presentation on opportunities in the oil sector at the 3rd Ugandan UK Convention and biggest Ugandan UK Diaspora Trade and Investment Expo 2013
On the 14th Sept 2013 Ugandan Diasporans, investors interested in Africa, friends of Uganda and well-wishers will flock to the Troxy Arena for the 3rd Ugandan UK Diaspora Trade and Investment Expo 2013.
“Uganda has all the attributes for an investment to thrive citing enough consumers, good infrastructure, an educated skilled human resource, a correct economic and regulatory frame work as well as a Macro economic system that is very stable – President Museveni.
The Uganda Diaspora Investment Expo 2013 (UK Convention) is now the largest Ugandan gathering in Europe designed to promote Uganda and East Africa at large as a favoured investment destination in Africa. The Expo offers participants – private individuals and companies large and small – the opportunity to access our lucrative and often overlooked Diaspora market, not to mention the vast investment and business opportunities presented on the day by experts from Uganda and abroad. This year’s Convention will focus on and contribute to the economic empowerment of the Ugandan community through the Expo.
Elly Karuhanga profile
Hon. Elly Karuhanga, L.L.B serves as Legal Counsel of Uganda of IBI Corp. Mr. Karuhanga is involved in certain corporate activities, such as expected joint ventures undertaken by IBI in Uganda and in anticipated exploration and mining license acquisitions. He serves as Managing Partner of Kampala Associated Advocates, Uganda’s leading law firm. He served as President of Tullow Oil Uganda (Tullow Uganda), a subsidiary of Tullow Oil plc; two terms as a Member of Parliament; Senior State Attorney in the Ministry of Justice; Advocate of the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Uganda; United Nations General Assembly Delegate from Uganda; Delegate to the World Trade Organization; Honorary consul of the Republic of the Seychelles; and Advisor to Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni, among other significant business and political achievements. Throughout his career, Mr. Karuhanga has played a significant role in the advancement of the Ugandan Judicial system. He serves as the Chairman of the CADRE (The Centre for Alternative Dispute Resolution and Arbitration). He has been Independent Director of IBI Corp. since December 20, 2007. Mr. Karuhanga serves as Director of Bankom Uganda Ltd and Canmin Gold Ltd. He has been a Director of Development Finance Company of Uganda Ltd. since May 2005. He serves as a Director of Tullow Uganda. He serves as Chairman of the Presidential and Foreign Affairs Committee.
Successes and Opportunities in Uganda’s Oil and Gas Sector: Addressing the Development of the Sector through a Policy Framework
Background and Status
The emerging oil and gas sector in Ugandais providing opportunitiesforthe country which include;
- Investment opportunities in Joint Ventures with companies holding licenses in the country, Emerging Infrastructure like the Refinery, pipelines and storage facilities, Service Provision in the fields of Engineering, Procurement, Construction, Environmental Consultancy, among others.
- Employment opportunities in general and the opportunity to develop a highly skilled man power in oil and gas related disciplines.
- The establishment of international companies like Schlumberger, Baker Hughes, Halliburton, Weatherford, Norsea Group, among others which provide services to the oil and gas sector.
- Stimulation of other industries such as the manufacturing sector.
- Infrastructure development like road networks especially in areas in and around the Albertine Graben.
- Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives undertaken by the oil companies in the areas ofoperationlike construction of schools, health centres and enterprise projects.
- Income to the country through taxation of employees, service providers and transactions in the oil and gas sector. .