The Minister of Finance and Economic Planning, Hon. Maria Kiwanuka shall be one of the key speakers at the 4th Ugandan Convention in UK scheduled to take place on 13th Sept 2014 at Troxy, 490 Commercial Road, London E1 0HX.
Hon. Maria Kiwanuka, the Finance Minister is an Economist and businesswoman. She has been the Managing Director of Radio One and Radio Two (Akaboozi). She also served as a non-Executive Director on the Board of Directors of Aghakan Foundation (East Africa), The Nabagereka Development Trust, Nkumba University, Uganda Development Bank and Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited.
She graduated with a Bachelors degree in Commerce (BCom) from Makerere University in 1977 and holds a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from London Business School. Beginning around 1980, she worked for more than ten years with the World Bank, as an Economist and Financial Analyst for the East Asian and Southern African regions. She later left the World Bank and went into private business.
Hon. Maria Kiwanuka is married to Mr. Mohan Kiwanuka, the Managing Director of Oscar Industries Limited.
Among speakers this year includes:
- Rt. Hon Edward Ssekandi, Vice President of Uganda
- Lord Nigel Crisp
- Mr Nuradin Osman, CEO-Africa Massey Ferguson tractors
- Hon. Maria Kiwanuka, Minister of Finance
- Rt Hon. Rebecca Alitwala Kadaga, Speaker of Parliament
- Lord Sheikh, House of Lords
- Dr. Frank B. Sebbowa, CEO,UIA,
- Mr. Kyewalabye-Male D
- HE Mirjam Blaak, Head of Mission, Brussels
- HE Joyce Kikafunda (High Commissioner – UK)
- Lord Sheikh
- HE Zaake W. Kibedi, Ambassador to the Nordic Countries
- HE Professor Joyce Kikafunda, High Commissioner
- HE Governor Cyprian Awiti (leading Kenya delegation)
- Mr. Amos Nzeyi (Chairman Pepsi-Uganda)
- Lord Popat (1200th richest person in UK & founderTLC Group)
- Hon. Daudi Migereko, Minister of Housing
- Hon Amelia Kyambadde, Minister of Trade and Investment (TBC)
- Lord Rumi Verjee (One of the richest persons in UK & owner of Dominos Pizza chains)
- Hon. Irene Muloni, Minister of Energy (TBC)
- Dr. Frank B. Sebbowa, CEO of Uganda Investment Authority
Overview of the Convention
The forum brings together experts, business leaders, professionals and representatives from prominent organisations based in Uganda, the UK and internationally. Delegates have access to up-to-date information on the vast potential for investment that Uganda offers to both the domestic and international community. They can acquire business tips, obtain relevant literature on priority sectors for investment, take part in an interactive Q & A session and hear about the realities of doing business in Uganda.
If you are interested in investment opportunities, the event will help you to:
- Gain key insights and trends from industry experts
- Breakdown challenges and access guidelines on investment opportunities in Uganda
- Learn how to navigate various sectors’ business and investment opportunities
- Network with other delegates interested in diversifying their portfolios
- Meet key industry leaders, policy makers, and other creative business thought leaders
- Explore the options available to grow your businesses
- Highlight the commercial gaps in an economically ripe industry
- Access networking opportunities with government officials, current and potential investors, private sector companies, inter-governmental and multilateral organisations, consultancies and advisory firms, and other stake-holders, including high level speakers.
- Gain access to opportunities for scheduled and one-to-one meetings with our VIPs
Uganda Convention UK’s vision is to harness the tremendous skills, expertise and knowledge base of the Ugandan Diaspora with a view to promote socio-economic and infrastructural development back in Uganda. The Ugandan Convention provides a platform for exchange of views and networking to Ugandan Diasporas on matters of common interest and concern to them. The Convention also helps the Government of Uganda to better understand and appreciate the expectations of Ugandan Diasporas community from the land of their ancestors and more importantly, acknowledge the important role played by them in Uganda’s efforts to acquire its rightful place in the community of nations.
- Promote the exchange of information, research and expertise and encourage new business interaction and relationships and to foster an environment for embracing our passion and commitment for the country.
- To inspire a new generation of Diasporans engaging responsibly with Uganda
- To bring together people that have found or are seeking innovative approaches
- To mobilize the Ugandan Diasporas to transfer knowledge, skills and technologies to Uganda to promote socio-economic and infrastructural development
- Identify potential opportunities in Uganda and mobilise Ugandans in the Diaspora to invest back home and increase the role of Ugandan Diaspora in Uganda’s development
- Seek investment opportunities in public and private organizations within Uganda, the United Kingdom and Europe and inform Ugandans in the Diaspora about such opportunities
- Utilize the intellectual and financial capital of the Diaspora for the purpose of improving the livelihood of all Ugandans
- Raise awareness of financial services available for small to medium sized businesses in Uganda and the United Kingdom
- Lobby and influence the Ugandan government to tap into the “vast expertise” of Ugandan professionals in Europe, and hasten Uganda’s socio-economic development
- Encourage Ugandans in the Diaspora to promote a positive image of their nation
- Mentor Ugandan youths in the Diaspora to instil in them a sense of nationalism and become responsible citizens
- Create awareness of scholarship programs designed for the development of Uganda
- Inspire and encourage a unity among Ugandans in Europe
- To demonstrate and promote philanthropy in Uganda as an integral strategy for permanent wealth-creation for social development